It's Not (just) About the Money

It's Not (just) About the Money is a dynamic coaching program. Our passion is to help you live from your heart; to thrive and live abundantly!

Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Mismatched Shoes

Can you tell what is wrong with this picture? Take another look. I actually spent a whole day dressed like this. I know, that little voice in your head is saying, “Couldn't she feel how different the boots are?” “I can’t believe she went out of the house like that!” “She is really a mess”

I had those same thoughts about myself and many more and I wanted to share my story with you; maybe it will give you a good laugh!

I have an early morning networking meeting that I attend each week, called BNI (Business Networking International). This particular morning I asked my girls to help me determine which boot would look best with my skirt. They both agreed that the brown boot accentuated the total look of my outfit.

As I headed back to my room to change boots I was distracted by one of my children’s needs. I never made it back to put the correct boot on and off I went to my meeting; not noticing the discrepancy (to put it mildly) until half way through my meeting.

I happen to be the education coordinator for this networking group and was sharing this particular morning how vital it is to turn unforeseen events into extraordinary opportunities and unexpected gifts. THIS was the turning point for me; I had to walk my talk!

Of course, my friend took it as a spontaneous opening to totally humiliate me. I thought about returning home to change my shoes (and climb in under the covers and never come out); but I would have had to cancel a client to do so. I could have called my mother to go get my boots but that would have taken an hour out of her day. So, I decided to just deal with it .

Here’s what I learned from this funny, humiliating and honest mistake.

• I choose to take myself lightly and “make everyone’s day’
• I really can handle humiliation and I didn't die
• Others got to feel better about their mistakes (of course they had never done anything like that before)
• I really can walk my talk!

I hope the next time you are considering taking a risk, want to try something new or you just totally blow it; remember me and my mismatched boots! If I can survive so can you!

If you want to share your crazy, humiliating, fun and outrageous mistakes click below to do so!!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home