It's Not (just) About the Money

It's Not (just) About the Money is a dynamic coaching program. Our passion is to help you live from your heart; to thrive and live abundantly!

Friday, December 23, 2005

Gotta have it!

I have a confession to make. In two separate weak moments, I placed orders for purchases that broke my own financial rules. The first item was a juicer that we didn’t need. The second was a hair product called the Flocker that was supposed to do wonderful things to your hair and make you look gorgeous. A name like the Flocker should have been a clue from the beginning!

I have a rule or guideline for myself that I do not buy from QVC, infomercials or any other “you gotta have this” opportunity advertised on TV. I broke my own principle that I had put in place for my own good.

On top of that, I broke an agreement with my husband. We had promised each other that, prior to purchasing anything over $100, we would discuss the purchase and make a decision together.

Needless to say, I sent both items back, at my own expense. Ouch! I paid for shipping twice.

As I step back and look at this situation, I see several opportunities to learn something. Here are a few interior financial questions I will ask myself in the future.

1. What emotion did I make the purchase from? (I was trying to please my daughters. Excitement, fun, joy and relief.)
2. What belief or money script did I say “yes” to? (It would make a quick, easy Christmas gift and make my shopping easier. My daughter said we had to have it; I agreed.)
3. Would this purchase endorse my values, dreams or goals? (I didn’t even ask myself this question. If I had done so, I'd have seen that clearly the purchase would not support my goals, nor did it fit into my spending plan. In addition, it violated a promise in our marriage.)

Next time you make a decision to buy something, ask yourself these three questions. It may save you the extra money and the embarrassment of buying something foolish that "you gotta have"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home